Infrastructure Rebuilding


eyeglasses online

Civil Engineering and Land Surveying


AECOM, a comprehensive design and engineering firm with more than 1,500 staff in New England, is prepared to assist at water and wastewater treatment facilities, flood control devices, bridges, roads, etc. AECOM has a contract with FEMA and some of our staff are on notice.  We are ready to provide assessment, design, and construction oversight. Contact: Pompeo Casale, PE, at 978-905-2153 or


Aldrich +Elliott, PC, already assists municipal clients throughout Vermont in the water resources field, and our municipal highway and FEMA experience may also be useful to Towns as they rebuild after Irene. Contact: Andrew Legg, PE, (802) 879-7733. Aldrich + Elliott, PC, 6 Market Place, Suite 2, Essex Junction, VT 05452.


The website of the American Council of Engineering Companies of Vermont  ( features more engineering resources.


BETA Group, Inc. is a full-service engineering firm specializing in heavy civil engineering projects. We provide a broad range of infrastructure planning and design services. These include new design and/or rehabilitation of roadways, bridges, drainage structures; traffic engineering, GIS and mapping; pavement management; structural engineering; water and wastewater engineering; hydrology and hydraulics; storm-water management, including best management practices and LEED; landscape architecture, contaminated materials investigation, handling and mitigation; regulatory compliance and environmental permitting. Contact: Jim Coppola at 401-465-3830 or


EcoStrategies, LLC, is a full-service civil and environmental engineering firm and design build firm that offers inspection services and planning and design services for building structures, roads, bridges, drainage facilities, water supply facilities, and wastewater treatment facilities. Six engineers are available for bridge and structure inspection. For specific information, visit or, if needed, we can send a package of qualifications and project examples. Contact: EcoStrategies, LLC, a Fuss & O'Neill Company, 66 Pine Tree Terrace, South Burlington, VT 05403.


LandTech. We employ accurate 3D laser scanning equipment for existing conditions/as-built surveys in areas not easily/safely accessible such as bridges and dams. Contact: Christopher M. Lorrain, P.E., 978-692-6100,


Maguire Group Inc., a full-service emergency management and A/E design firm with over 160 professional staff throughout the northeast,  is prepared to provide emergency management/disaster response services, including comprehensive preliminary damage assessments; preparation of post storm documentation; FEMA and FHWA reimbursement assistance; debris monitoring, etc. Additionally, our architectural, engineering, transportation, water and wastewater staff resources will be made available to you. Contact: Richard Bernardo, PE, at, 401-272-6000 (phone), 401-272-9185 (fax), or 401-871-2264 (cell).


Otter Creek Engineering ( is currently assisting a few towns with damage from Tropical Storm Irene. Contact:


Stantec FEMA Disaster Recovery Assistance. Stantec’s team of disaster response specialists has extensive experience leading communities around the country through every step of the FEMA recovery process. Their facilitation of the development and implementation strategy allows your community to maximize FEMA eligible cost reimbursements and ensure that sustainable infrastructure improvements occur. Their Disaster Response Team consists of 2 FEMA national experts, 50 local architects/engineers, 25 flood certified estimators supported by the greater Stantec pool of resources. Contact: Jack Myers, Stantec’s South Burlington Headquarters, 802-864-0223, to set up an on-site meeting as soon as possible. Timing and strategy are critical to realizing the maximum level of recovery funding.


Town Bridge Repairs and Temporary Bridges


Regional Planning Commissions are providing support to towns on town highway damages. Towns should continue to work with their RPCs as necessary. Towns may also want to use consultants, contractors or suppliers that they have used in the past.

Contractors: The Associated General Contractors of Vermont is coordinating contractor requests for town construction needs. Contact AGC-VT (Cathy Voyer at 802-223-2374 or and a contractor should contact the town within 24 hours.

Consultants: Consulting engineers can assist with site assessment, design, contract preparation and construction inspection for town bridge repairs, temporary bridges or full bridge replacements. The American Council of Engineering Companies of Vermont ( maintains contact information and links to their member companies.

Temporary Bridge Supplies: In addition to the bridges that the contractors have on hand, towns can purchase or lease temporary bridges or components from firms that have indicated they have one- and/or two-lane temporary bridges:

ACROW Corporation of America
181 New Road
Parsippany, NJ 07054-5625
Eugene Sobecki (201-310-9034 or or Mark Joosten (973-244-0080)

Bailey Bridges, Inc.
119 40th Street N.E.
Fort Payne, AL 35967
Skip Wilson (800-477-7320 or

Maybey Bridge and Shore, Inc.
6770 Dorsey Road
Elkridge, MD 21075
Kevin Traynor (410-365-0101, 410-567-1921, 800-956-2239 or

AOT list of possible consultants to assist towns with recovery work.

AOT Round 5 retainer bridge inspection consultants.

Vermont State Infrastructure Bank (SIB). The Vermont State Infrastructure Bank (SIB) may be able to assist you with a loan to perform repairs/reconstruction work to roads/structures on the Federal Aid Highway system (Class I and II or major collectors) while you wait to be reimbursed by FHWA from its Emergency Road fund program. SIB funds are not eligible for local road repairs that are covered by FEMA programs. SIB funding is available at very low interest rates for projects eligible under US CFR Title 23 or Title 49. Projects approved under the FHWA-ER program can be reimbursed for loan interest. SIB funds can be used as a local match in larger projects, presuming they meet the Title 23 and Title 49 criteria. For more information, call either Steve Greenfield at VEDA (828-5459) or Karen Songhurst at the Agency of Transportation (828-1078). Approximately $2.5 million to $3 million is available in the SIB.