NOTE - Tuesday, January 20 was the deadline for filing a petition for an article to be voted on at town meeting. We sincerely apologize for the error on our 2014-2015 Municipal Calendar.
See below for information about deadline dates, drafting articles, how to prepare a warning or handle petitioned articles, what must be included in the town report, training, and helpful resources.
- How to best prepare for Town Meeting, an article from the December 2014 VLCT News;
- Preparing for Your Town Meeting, a presentation from the 2014 Fall Selectboard Institute; and
- The Town Meeting Chapter from VLCT’s Selectboard Handbook.
- What is the difference between a paper ballot and an Australian ballot? is an Ask The League article from the February 2015 VLCT News.
- VLCT's Model Social Service Agency Appropriation Policy is available as a PDF or a Word Document.
- Help with drafting articles for the town warning is here.
- 2015 Town Meeting Tune-Up Workshop materials, which includes the agenda, a classification of motions, a motion reference sheet, instructions to the body before calling the meeting to order, and a summary of Robert's Rules as modified by Vermont state law.
- Sample documents from the Northfield Town Moderator: (1) Opening remarks [Word document] [pdf file] and (2) Article Tracking Sheet [Word document] [pdf file].
- Robert’s Rules of Order is available in its 10th edition (2000), the newly revised 11th edition (2013), Robert's Rules In Brief (2004), and the fully updated 2nd edition of Robert's Rules In Brief.
- A Town Meeting Tune, performed by Jon Gailmor, Elmore Town Moderator. (Here are the lyrics.)
Town meeting-related changes from the 2014 Vermont legislative session:
The Elections Division of the Secretary of State’s office administers Vermont’s elections and works to protect the integrity of the democratic process. Its online resources, helpful to town officials and citizens alike, are here.