The Mad River Valley Planning District seeks a Community Planner to engage and collaborate with citizens, professional organizations, and officials (local, regional, state, and federal) on a wide range of community planning topics, including affordable housing, transportation, recreation, infrastructure, land use, and placemaking.
Under general supervision of the Executive Director, the Community Planner conducts regional studies, develops strategic plans, coordinates implementation steps, assists partners with grant applications, and other similar work as assigned. The ideal candidate is a change agent with an interest in data-driven decision making as well as a firm understanding of the value of social capital. This is a full-time salaried position with benefits.
- conducting research
- writing reports and memos
- making presentations
- facilitating and managing public meetings
- project management
- grant writing and reporting
- undertaking administrative tasks such as minute-taking, website posting, etc.
- providing technical assistance
Qualifications and Experience
- bachelor’s degree in planning or a related field
- three years of relevant experience
- GIS experience preferred
- experience working with rural communities
- demonstrated ability to outreach and build relationships with community members
- good humor, strong initiative, creativity, and ability to multi-task
- written and verbal communication skills
- ability to work independently and as a part of a team to produce clear deliverables
- willingness to work on a flexible schedule, including availability during evenings
Salary range, $40-45k, commensurate with experience.
Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to:
Mad River Valley Planning District
PO Box 471
Waitsfield, VT 05673.
The deadline to submit an application is Friday, July 26, 2019.
The Towns of Fayston, Waitsfield, Warren and the Central Vermont Regional Planning Commission created the Mad River Valley Planning District in 1985. The purpose of the planning district is to carry out a program of planning for the future of the Mad River Valley. The program is directed toward the physical, social, economic, fiscal, environmental, cultural and aesthetic well being of the member towns and its inhabitants. For more information, visit www.mrvpd.org.