Beginning in 2018, Vermont’s Act 171 requires that municipalities and regions that are updating their municipal and regional plans identify areas that are important as “forest blocks” and “habitat connectors” and plan for development in those areas to minimize forest fragmentation. As town and regional plans come up for revision, many communities are now attempting to create the required maps and write appropriate language. This webinar will provide background, tools, and samples for this implementation process.
Topics will include:
- What Act 171 requires of towns and regional planning commissions
- Sample town and regional plan language
- Guidance on finding, interpreting, and creating the required maps using the Vermont Agency of Natural Resources’ BioFinder website
- Case studies of policies that maintain and protect forests and connectivity
The presenters include representatives from Vermont Fish and Wildlife, the Vermont Natural Resources Council, and the Central Vermont RPC.
The webinar will take place as follows:
- December 18, 2017, noon- 1:30 pm
- January 29, 2018, 6:00-7:30 pm
- February 12, 2017, 2:00-3:30 pm
- March 1, 2018, noon–1:30 pm
Each webinar will follow the same format with the same content. To register, please visit http://vcgi.vermont.gov/events/list.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.