VLCT Property and Casualty Intermunicipal Fund, Inc.
Board of Directors Meeting
Friday, August 5, 2016
VLCT Offices, Montpelier, Vermont
Directors Present: Pat Scheidel, Walker James, Mel Adams, Pete Johnson, Brendan Whittaker, Neal Fox, Carl Rogers (by phone), Jackie Higgins (9:35, left at 11:10), John Lawe (9:35), Joshua Powers (9:35), Stuart Hurd (9:45), and Aaron Frank (10:00)
Staff Present: Ken Canning, David Sichel, Joe Damiata, Mike Gilbar, Jeremiah Breer, Kelly Kindestin
Others Present: John Riley (Rice & Riley), Alden Warner and Dwight Richardson (Town of Lowell Selectboard members), Ronald Shems and Richard Saudek (Attorneys from Diamond & Robinson representing the Town of Lowell)
The meeting was called to order at 9:30 a.m. by President Scheidel.
Upon motion (Fox/Johnson) duly adopted by roll call, the Board voted unanimously to approve the agenda as presented.
Upon motion (James/Johnson) duly adopted by roll call, the Board voted unanimously to approve the minutes from the June 24, 2016 meeting as corrected.
The Board considered an appeal of a PACIF coverage determination by the Town of Lowell. Ken Canning provided an overview of the process.
Ronald Shems and Richard Saudek presented the position of the Town of Lowell that the denial of the claim should be overturned and that PACIF owed a duty to defend the claim.
John Riley presented PACIF's position that the denial of the claim was appropriate and no duty to defend is owed.
Upon motion (Hurd/Johnson) duly adopted by roll call, the Board voted unanimously to enter into Deliberative Session to consider the appeal of a PACIF coverage determination by the Town of Lowell. John Riley and staff were invited to attend the Deliberative Session.
The Board entered into Deliberative Session at 10:25
The Board left Deliberative Session at 11:13
Ken Canning provided an organizational update:
- Larry Smith, Member Relations Representative, is recovering from surgery and will be back to work soon.
- Tanya Chambers, Workers' Compensation Claims Representative, left VLCT and now works for the City of Montpelier.
- An intern for VLCT Advocacy recently finished up. She reviewed all city and town charters and catalogued their provisions.
- Former VLCT intern Brian Story was recently hired as the Town Administrator in the Town of Johnson.
- Jessica Hill, VLCT HR Director recently received the SHRM CP (Society for Human Resource Management Certified Professional) designation.
- Kelly Kindestin, P&C Claims Manager, recently completed a business writing course.
- Lisa Goodell, Conference Coordinator, was recognized by the GMWEA (Green Mountain Water Environment Association) with the President's Award for outstanding service.
- Sue Janssen, Benson Selectboard member and VLCT Board member, recently passed away.
- Many new babies have blessed the homes of VLCT staff members.
Pat Scheidel appointed a Nominating Committee. The members of the committee are Mel Adams (chair), Carl Rogers and Walker James.
The Board discussed the Strategic Plan. A number of suggestions and comments were provided to staff. Staff will bring a final version of the Strategic Plan for review at the November board meeting.
Upon motion (Hurd/Powers) duly adopted by roll call, the Board voted unanimously to approve the PACIF Mission and Vision Statements as discussed at the meeting.
Upon motion (Powers/Johnson) duly adopted by roll call, the Board adjourned at 11:47 a.m.
David Sichel, Assistant Secretary