You are here

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

Vermont law states that an elected town office becomes “vacant” if the town officer resigns, is removed from office, dies, becomes unable to perform his or her duties due to a mental condition or psychiatric disability, or moves out of the town in which he or she serves. 24 V.S.A. § 961. The creation of a vacancy in town government can be a time of great confusion and uncertainty for municipalities. MAC developed a list of frequently asked questions and answers to assist members with vacant elected offices.

While every effort is made to provide members with the most accurate information possible, this document does not constitute legal advice.

If you are a member and have questions about vacancies or other Vermont municipal issues please contact the VLCT Municipal Assistance Center at or call1-800-649-7915 for assistance.