Thursday, January 19, 2023
Hybrid Meeting - 12:20 p.m.
Via Zoom and in Person at:
VLCT Offices, the Vermont Room, 89 Main Street, Montpelier, VT
- Call to order by President; Introduction of new members and guests, if any. (12:20)
- Additions and Deletions to the Agenda (12:25)
Action Suggested: Board members should review the agenda, including adding or deleting items, moving items to and from the consent agenda, and having the President, board members, and staff identify items to be added under “Other Business.”
- Consent Agenda Items (12:30)
Action Suggested: Approve all items in gross and without debate or amendment. A single member can demand a separate vote for any of the series offered. Items voted separately require a separate motion to approve and may be fully debated and amended at the end of the agenda.
- Approve Minutes December 15, 2022 meeting
- Accept January Personnel Report
- Visit from UVM Vice President for Finance and Administration Richard Cate (12:35)
Action Suggested: No action recommended. Richard Cate requested to come speak with the VLCT Board about how UVM can build and sustain mutually beneficial relationships with Vermont’s diverse constituencies, increase awareness of emerging issues, and inform decision making around how UVM can constructively engage with citizens and organizations throughout the state. Richard is a former Vermont Commissioner of Education, served on the Barre City Council, and as Barre City Manager.
- Organizational Update (12:50)
Action Suggested: No action required. Ted Brady will go over the attached organizational update.
- January 2023 Organizational Update
- December 2022 Marketing Analytics Report
- VLCT Finance Update (1:00)
Action Suggested: The Board should consider accepting both the 2021 audit and the 2022 audit plan. VLCT CFO Seth Abbene will discuss the 2021 audit, 2022 audit plan and 2022 Town Fair finances.
- 2021 VLCT Audit (VLCT Board Letter, Internal Control Letter, Audited Financial Statements)
- 2022 VLCT Audit Plan
- 2022 Town Fair Finances
- VLCT Work Plan Review (1:15)
Action Suggested: The Board may wish to approve the 2023 proposed work plan. Ted will present the final status report from the 2022 work plan and provide the Board with an overview of the proposed 2023 work plan.
- 2022 Work Plan
- 2022 Work Plan Tracking Document
- Proposed 2023 Work Plan
- Break (1:30)
- 2022 Member Survey Review (1:40)
Action Suggested: No action required. VLCT Research and Information Specialist Heather Law will join the meeting to answer any questions about the 2022 Member Survey.
- 2022 Member Survey
- Equity Committee Appointments (1:50)
Action Suggested: The Board may wish to approve the proposed 2023 Equity Committee slate. In November, the Board reseated the existing Board with the expectation that VLCT would solicit new nominations and appoint a new committee in accordance with the committee’s charter. The Board may wish also to approve the committee’s proposed 2023 Equity Committee workplan.
- VLCT Equity Committee Nominating Committee Minutes (including recommended committee slate)
- Draft 2023 Equity Committee Workplan
- Discussion About State Proposals to Build Capacity in Rural Communities (1:55)
Action Suggested: No action required. Ted, Karen Horn, and Katie Buckley will lead a discussion about the various proposals to provide capacity to rural communities.
- Rep. Katherine Sims draft rural capacity bill
- Gov. Scott’s proposed Rural Infrastructure Assistance Program
- Most recent rural capacity concept paper from the Vermont Council on Rural Development
- Legislative Update (2:10)
Action Suggested: No action required. Karen Horn and Gwynn Zakov will present a real-time legislative update.
- 2023 VLCT Municipal Priorities
- VLCT Week 2 Weekly Legislative Report (emailed separately on Friday afternoon)
- Executive Session (if necessary) (2:30)
- Other Business (2:45)
- Adjourn (3:00)