Vermont League of Cities and Towns
Virtual Board of Directors Meeting
Thursday, December 17, 2020
Members Present: President Miro Weinberger, Vice President Peter Elwell, and Members Jessie Baker, Mary Ann Goulette, Elaine Haney, Lucas Herring, Delsie Hoyt, and Charles Safford.
Others Present: VLCT staff members Maura Carroll, Karen Horn, and Gwynn Zakov; Senator Becca Balint, incoming Senate President; and Carolyn Wesley, assistant to Senator Balint.
All attended via GoToMeeting.
VLCT Board Vice President Peter Elwell called the meeting to order at 9:00 am. He welcomed Senator Balint to the meeting and expressed the desire of the board to work as partners in legislation and the state.
A discussion ensued of both Senator Balint’s and VLCT’s legislative priorities. They include:
- addressing COVID-19-generated needs;
- property tax disruptions in residential property values and decreases in many kinds of commercial property values with likely significant changes in the common level of appraisal;
- advancing the conversation around municipal self-governance;
- a share of cannabis sales tax revenues to local governments to support administrative responsibilities;
- addressing changes to law enforcement in the state while respecting locally adopted governance structures;
- Act 250 jurisdiction in designated growth centers, downtowns and other designated areas;
- administration of the Criminal Justice Council; and
- funding of dispatch.
The meeting adjourned at 9:30 am.
Director, Public Policy and Research