Vermont League of Cities and Towns
Virtual Board of Directors Meeting
Tuesday, December 29, 2020
Members Present: Vice President Peter Elwell and Members Jessie Baker, Elaine Haney, and Charles Safford
Others Present: VLCT staff members Maura Carroll and Karen Horn; Representative Jill Krowinski, incoming Speaker of the House; and Conor Kennedy, assistant to Rep. Krowinski.
All attended via GoToMeeting.
VLCT Board Vice President Peter Elwell called the meeting to order at 11:00 am. He welcomed Representative Krowinski to the meeting and expressed the desire to work as partners on legislation and with the legislative and executive branches of the state.
A discussion ensued of both Representative Krowinski’s and VLCT’s legislative priorities. They include
- addressing COVID-19-generated needs;
- extending the deadline for expenditure of Coronavirus Relief Funds allocated to municipal programs in compliance with new federal legislation;
- property taxes disruptions in residential property values and decreases in many kinds of commercial property values with likely significant changes in the common level of appraisal;
- advancing the conversation around municipal self-governance;
- a share of cannabis sales tax revenues to local governments to support administrative responsibilities;
- addressing changes to law enforcement in the state while respecting locally adopted governance structures;
- Act 250 jurisdiction in designated growth centers, downtowns and other designated areas;
- administration of the Criminal Justice Council; and
- funding of dispatch.
The meeting adjourned at 11:30 am.
Director, Public Policy and Research