Vermont League of Cities and Towns
Nominating Committee Meeting
Thursday, September 6, 2018
1. Call to Order. Chair Jared Cadwell called the Nominating Committee to order at 11:05 a.m. on September 6, 2018. Present were Members Cadwell, Beckett and Safford and VLCT staff member, Maura Carroll.
2. Additions and Deletions to the Agenda. No additions or deletions were made to the agenda.
3. Review Applications for Board Positions. Members discussed all the qualified candidates nominated to fill the impending Board vacancies. In accordance with the Bylaws, they also considered how the candidates reflected Vermont local governments’ diversity of community population, geography and form of government, as well as personal experience and willingness to serve.
Members of the Committee discussed the list of candidates who had expressed interest in serving, the incumbent members of the Board and the composition and geographic distribution of the current board. Member Safford moved and Member Cadwell seconded a recommendation to the full board to offer the following slate of candidates to be presented to the membership at the Annual Meeting on October 3, 2018, at the DoubleTree by Hilton in South Burlington.
For the one-year terms through October 2019 for the positions of:
- President – Dominic Cloud, City Manager, St. Albans (pop. 6,918)
- Vice-President – Miro Weinberger, Mayor, Burlington (pop. 42,417)
For the Board of Directors for the five, two-year terms through October 2019:
- Peter Elwell, Town Manager, Brattleboro (pop. 12,046)
- William Fraser, City Manager, Montpelier (pop. 7,855)
- Sandra Pinsonault, Town Clerk, Dorset (pop. 2,031)
- Ted Simmons, Selectboard, Orwell, (pop. 1,250)
- Kenneth Linsley, Selectboard Chair, Danville (pop. 383)
The motion was adopted unanimously.
4. Other Business. No other business was discussed.
5. Adjourn. On motion duly made by Member Beckett and seconded by Member Safford, the committee voted to adjourn at 11:25 a.m.
Maura Carroll, Executive Director