The VLCT Board of Directors created five legislative policy committees to develop recommendations for a legislative platform in each policy area in the ensuing session. Committee members meet with secretaries and commissioners of agencies from time to time to discuss strategy and the implementation of laws. VLCT Advocacy staff also relies upon committee members for advice and expertise on specific issues during the legislative session.
Each summer, these committees meet to draft their recommendations. The VLCT Board of Directors then reviews, amends as needed, and approves the recommendations. The entire draft municipal policy is then sent to the VLCT membership, who votes on it at the VLCT Annual Meeting in October. Members may propose further amendments to the draft policy in writing prior to the meeting or on the floor at the meeting. Each member city or town has one vote at the annual or special meeting. Upon member approval of the policy by majority vote of those present, the Board, at its next meeting, establishes municipal policy priorities from among the many adopted policy issues. Those priorities provide the focus for Advocacy staff and the Board going forward.
The Finance, Administration and Intergovernmental Relations (FAIR) Policy Committee is responsible for: governance; taxation including education funding, open meeting and public records; clerk-treasurer issues; economic development.
2021-2022 Finance, Administration and Intergovernmental Relations (FAIR) Committee
- Peter Elwell, Town Manager, Brattleboro, Chair
- Jared Cadwell, Selectboard Chair, Fayston
- Dominic Cloud, City Manager, St Albans City
- Herb Durfee, Town Manager, Norwich
- Tammy Legacy, Town Clerk, Roxbury
- Ken Linsley, Selectboard Chair, Danville
- Eric Osgood, Selectboard Chair, Johnson
- George Putnam, Selectperson, Cambridge
- Elaine Wang, Assistant Town Manager, Barre Town
- Lucrecia Wonsor, Town Clerk, Killington
- Chad Whitehead, Town Manager, St Johnsbury
Each committee includes VLCT President Miro Weinberger and VLCT Executive Director Maura Carroll as ex officio members.