VLCT sends its Municipal Compensation and Benefits Survey to one designated recipient at every VLCT member municipality every year in the spring. The results are compiled into the Vermont Municipal Compensation and Benefits Report by early fall. Participating municipalities receive free access to the digital report and a free bound print version of the report. Other organizations and individuals may purchase these items through the VLCT Bookstore.
2023 Dates & Deadlines
- May 8: Online Survey Opens (municipalities with calendar year budgets can submit their payroll reports at this time)
- May 8: May10: Non-NEMRC users receive pre-filled payroll templates (if they completed the payroll report in 2021 or 2022 - if your municipality has not completed the survey in a while, we have provided downloadable non-NEMRC payroll system or manual payroll templates)
- July 1: Municipalities with fiscal year budget cycles may provide their payroll reports
- July 31: Survey Closes
- Late-September to early-October: Survey report release
The Two-Part Survey
- Digital Survey - We email this to one designated recipient at each municipality in early May.
- Payroll Report - Varies according to the municipality's payroll system.
- NEMRC payroll system users will find an automated report in their payroll systems, instructions are available for download on this page (provided by NEMRC).
- Users with Non-NEMRC payroll systems (Quicken, Quickbooks, etc...) may use the Non-NEMRC payroll report instructions and template to provide their data.
- We have provided users who wish to manually enter their data a payroll template and guidance (left) for download.
Please note: Non-NEMRC payroll system users that completed the survey in 2021 and 2022 will receive a pre-filled template of their prior year payroll data within 48 hours of survey release.
Report Submission & Survey Assistance
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to:
- Submit your payroll report
- Ask a question or receive assistance with the survey
- Request a copy of your municipality's prior year responses