The VLCT Board of Directors created five legislative policy committees to develop recommendations for a legislative platform in each policy area in the ensuing session. Committee members meet with secretaries and commissioners of agencies from time to time to discuss strategy and the implementation of laws. VLCT Advocacy staff also rely upon committee members for advice and expertise on specific issues during the legislative session.
Each summer, these committees meet to draft their recommendations. The VLCT Board of Directors then reviews, amends as needed, and approves the recommendations. The entire draft municipal policy is then sent to the VLCT membership, who votes on it at the VLCT Annual Meeting in October. Members may propose further amendments to the draft policy in writing prior to the meeting or on the floor at the meeting. Each member city or town has one vote at the annual or special meeting. Upon member approval of the policy by majority vote of those present, the Board, at its next meeting, establishes municipal policy priorities from among the many adopted policy issues. Those priorities provide the focus for Advocacy staff and the Board going forward.
The Public Safety Committee is responsible for: fair and impartial policing including federal immigration law and Act 5; authority, information, and funding to combat drug-related crime; Department of Corrections’ policy; training and funding to support fire safety volunteers and professionals, emergency medical technicians, and law enforcement officials; dispatch; highway safety; marijuana legalization.
2021-2022 Public Safety Committee
- Charles Safford, Town Manager, Stowe, Chair
- Travis Bingham, Police Chief, Newport City
- Jim Finger, Chief Executive Administrator, Regional Ambulance Service
- Drew Hazelton, Chief of Operations, Rescue, Inc.
- Lucas Herring, Mayor, Barre City
- Dan Lindley, Town Administrator, Morristown
- Silas Loomis, President, Vermont Constables Association
- Roger Marcoux, Sheriff, Lamoille County
- Brian Peete, Police Chief, Montpelier
- Chris Violette, Fire Chief, Barre Town
Each committee includes VLCT President Miro Weinberger and VLCT Executive Director Maura Carroll as ex officio members.