The VLCT Municipal Assistance Center (MAC) provides municipal officials and employees with the education, training, and professional assistance they need to fulfill their statutory duties.
Through our Municipal Inquiry Service, MAC staff members answer your questions about municipal law and process – and provide you with best practice recommendations about a myriad of municipal issues. The MAC team consists of attorneys and staff with expertise in municipal law, local government operations and public administration, and research methods.
Municipal issues must be handled according to applicable state and federal laws, which vary depending on the topic and circumstances. MAC’s Inquiry Service helps members understand legal requirements and how to apply them to day-to-day governance and operations. The number of questions MAC answers per year averages 4,000.
How the Inquiry system works.
- Contact us between 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, at 800-649-7915 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The VLCT reception team forwards these messages to the MAC staff member on call at the time – or you can press 2 to go directly to the inquiry voicemail box.
- When you leave a message, please provide:
- Your full name
- Your municipality
- Your position within the municipality
- A brief description of your question
- And the phone number or email address where you can be reached.
- Each day, two staff are assigned to answer inquiries to help manage the workload and expedite response times.
Our goal is to respond to all inquiries within 24 to 48 hours after we receive them. Response times vary depending on the volume of inquiries received or the complexity of the question(s) posed. Inquiries are prioritized based on when they are received, so please let us know if you have an urgent need or imminent deadline.
Note that there are some limitations to MAC’s Inquiry Service, which is governed by the Vermont Rules of Professional Conduct for attorneys and by the VLCT Municipal Assistance Center Inquiry Policy. If you have questions about MAC’s Inquiry Service or municipal law and process, please contact us at 800-649-7915 or email@example.com.