Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) – The GASB, established in 1984, is the body responsible for setting generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) for governments.
GASB Governmental Accounting Research System (GASB GARS) – Anyone can access the basic view for free and read GASB codification, original pronouncements, implementation guides, official standards, and more.
- Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA)
- VT Government Finance Officers Association (VTGFOA)
- VTGFOA is affiliated with the New England States Government Finance Officers Association (NESGFOA) and VTGFOA membership includes NESGFOA membership.
- VLCT Training Calendar - Usually a spring and fall training, with additional supplemental training throughout the year as needed.
- VTGFOA Trainings - Typically three trainings per year
- NESGFOA Trainings - There is an annual spring seminar and fall conference
- GFOA Trainings - GFOA has in person and online events
- GFOA Just a T.A.D - GFOA mini training videos on specific topics
Additional Educational Offerings
Rutgers Business School: Master of Accountancy in Governmental Accounting. A four course online graduate certificate program is also available.
GASB White Paper: Why Governmental Accounting and Reporting is - and should be - Different is an interesting read for all those working or interested in government finance. It explores the fundamental differences between governments and businesses and discusses the impact that it has on governmental financial reporting.
Textbook: Accounting for Governmental and Nonprofit Entities by Jacqueline Reck, Suzanne Lowensohn, and Daniel Neely. Currently in its 19th edition.
GFOA helpful publications (available in e-book and print format)
Some GFOA publications of note include:
- Governmental Accounting, Auditing, and Financial Reporting, aka The Blue Book. You can use this order form to purchase a printed version.
- Financial Policies
- Elected Official’s Series
Hiring a CPA Firm
The Vermont Society of CPAs has a searchable database to find CPAs available to assist with auditing or other governmental financial services. While this database focuses on Vermont based firms, there are also regional firms who conduct governmental audits in the state of Vermont.
Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
There is ample information on the IRS website to assist with payroll tax withholdings, quarterly reporting, taxable fringe benefits, and more including tax information for federal, state and local governments.