The town meeting warning must contain the following information, as described in 17 V.S.A § 2641 et seq.:
- The date, time, and location of the meeting;
- The nature of the meeting (whether it is a town meeting, school meeting, or both);
- The business to be transacted, by separate articles, including the offices and the questions to be voted upon (these must include any articles requested by a voter-backed petition filed pursuant to 17 V.S.A. § 2642);
- The date, location, and time of all polling places when voting by Australian ballot; and
- The signatures of a majority of the members of the town selectboard, school board, or both for a combined warning. When all positions on the selectboard are vacant, warnings may be signed by the town clerk.
The warning must also be accompanied by information on voter registration and information on early or absentee voting (if applicable). 17 V.S.A § 2642(b).
Below are six different model town meeting warnings that have been prepared by MAC. Choose the warning that corresponds to: (1) whether the town meeting is conducted in conjunction with the school meeting; and (2) whether the town votes from the floor; by Australian ballot; or uses both methods. To ensure that your town is using the most appropriate model warning, please carefully refer to the instructions on each model.
These models have been developed for illustrative purposes only. VLCT makes no express or implied endorsement or recommendation of any model or any express or implied guarantee of legal enforceability or legal compliance. VLCT also does not represent that any model is appropriate for any particular municipality. Please seek legal counsel to review any proposed model before use.
Members may contact the Municipal Assistance Center at email@example.com or 1-800-649-7915 for assistance.